Toastados
I got this from my mother-in-law! This is what I made this last Sunday and thought the recipe was already on here. Some people might call this Navajo Tacos, I have never cared enough to look up the difference between Toastados and Navajo Tacos.
For the Shell: Make this mix and store in container with lid:
7 cups flour
8 tsp. baking powder
4 Tbsp. Sugar
4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup shortening
Mix together until shortening is blended and you see no lumps.
Now take 2 cups of ablove mix and 2/3 cup of water, mix well with fork. Dough should not be sticky. Let rest 5-10 min. Take small amount of dough and roll out on bread board which you have rubbed a layer of cooking oil on. (I just use my hands and mash it out) Cook in hot grease, turn cook other side. Top with 1 lb. hamburger cooked and drained, add 1 can chili (I used chili and mashed with potato masher) or refried beans if you like. Top with cheese, tomato, lettuce, salsa.
For the Shell: Make this mix and store in container with lid:
7 cups flour
8 tsp. baking powder
4 Tbsp. Sugar
4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup shortening
Mix together until shortening is blended and you see no lumps.
Now take 2 cups of ablove mix and 2/3 cup of water, mix well with fork. Dough should not be sticky. Let rest 5-10 min. Take small amount of dough and roll out on bread board which you have rubbed a layer of cooking oil on. (I just use my hands and mash it out) Cook in hot grease, turn cook other side. Top with 1 lb. hamburger cooked and drained, add 1 can chili (I used chili and mashed with potato masher) or refried beans if you like. Top with cheese, tomato, lettuce, salsa.
Comments