Best Barbecued Beans on the Planet

My friend Jodi gave me this recipe today. Her husband makes it and they shared it. It smells and tastes really good so far. We are having it for dinner with some bbq pork ribs. It is alot of ingredients and alot of chopping. It helps if you had jalepenos in your garden and you spent one day chopping and seeding a whole bunch and froze them. It is still worth all the work for these great beans!

Serves:12-16

1 pound smoked brisket or bacon cut into 1/4-inch slivers
1 can (15 ounces) black beans
1 can (15 ounces) dark red kidney beans
3 cans (each 15 ounces) baked beans or pork and beans
1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 to 6 jalepeno peppers, seeded and diced
2 cups sweet red barbecue sauce (your favorite commercial brand)
1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown, or more to taste
1/2 cup dijon mustard, or more to taste
2 teaspoons liquid smoke
Course salt (Kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper

1. If using bacon instead of brisket, place it in a large skillet over medium heat and fry until crisp and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Pour off all the bacon fat.

2. Empty the cans of black and kidney beans into a colander and drain. Rinse the beans under cold running water and drain again. Place all the beans (including the baked beans or pork and beans) in a large crockpot and add the onion, red and green peppers, garlic, and jalepenos and stir to mix. Add the barbecue sauce, brown sugar, mustard, and liquid smoke, and bacon or brisket and stir to mix. Taste for seasoning, adding more brown sugar and/or mustard as necessary, and salt and black pepper to taste; the beans should be very flavorful.

Cook on low for as long as possible. I am doing it about 7 hours.

**This was soooooo GOOD! I debated re-heating these for breakfast, don't worry I didn't. You know the whole "beans, beans the magical fruit...." I'll save the poor people at church from being around me and I will eat them after church! The only thing I would change would be to make them with Turkey Keilbasa. I have a thing for chewing on a big chunk of fat from bacon.

Comments

Laurel said…
Who doesn't love bacon? Oh, and we always said they were the "musical" fruit, you know, toot toot...

So, did you try freezing them?

Popular posts from this blog

Pumpkin Muffins

Pomegranate Syrup

Biscuits with Sausage Gravy