Chicken Barley Stew
This was delicious! Thanks Laurel for the recipe. I loved it spicy, but the rest of the gang was eating more crackers and milk than the stew. We had this for dinner tonight, I will change the ingredients just a little and definitely make it again. Yep, I didn't have barley and had to ask the lady at the store for it. She didn't know where it was, we finally found it next to the dried beans, peas, rice section. I am also adding this to my healthy label because yep its healthy. Most of Laurels recipes are.
Ingredients
1 tsp. oil (extra virgin Olive)
1 c. chopped onion
2 c. (or 1 can) chicken broth (fat free, low-sodium)
2 c. water
1/2 c. quick-cook barley
1/4-1/2 tsp. chili powder (2 tsp. for spicy)
2-3 c. frozen corn, green beans, peas (I used one 16 oz. frozen mixed veggie with corn, carrots, peas, and green beans-perfect)
2 c. shredded chicken (I used canned, really easy)
1 can diced tomatoes (no chilis, add the chilis for spicy)
1 Tb. dried parsley or cilantro
Directions
Saute onion in oil 5 min. Add broth and water, bring to a boil. Stir in barley and chili powder. Simmer 5 min. and add veggies. Anything is really fine here. I use some frozen, some canned (never canned peas--they are icky). Cover and simmer 5 min. until barley is tender. Stir in chicken (or beef or turkey, cooked) and tomatoes. Add parsley now. Heat through and serve.
Ingredients
1 tsp. oil (extra virgin Olive)
1 c. chopped onion
2 c. (or 1 can) chicken broth (fat free, low-sodium)
2 c. water
1/2 c. quick-cook barley
1/4-1/2 tsp. chili powder (2 tsp. for spicy)
2-3 c. frozen corn, green beans, peas (I used one 16 oz. frozen mixed veggie with corn, carrots, peas, and green beans-perfect)
2 c. shredded chicken (I used canned, really easy)
1 can diced tomatoes (no chilis, add the chilis for spicy)
1 Tb. dried parsley or cilantro
Directions
Saute onion in oil 5 min. Add broth and water, bring to a boil. Stir in barley and chili powder. Simmer 5 min. and add veggies. Anything is really fine here. I use some frozen, some canned (never canned peas--they are icky). Cover and simmer 5 min. until barley is tender. Stir in chicken (or beef or turkey, cooked) and tomatoes. Add parsley now. Heat through and serve.
Comments