Sweet and Sour Chicken

I am trying out some new recipes to find some more that I really like to add to my favorites. I am pretty sure this one is it. I found it in our Payson Ward Cookbook. I Love those ward cookbooks.

Ingredients:
3 lb. chicken breasts
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 beaten egg
4 to 6 Tbsp. cornstarch or flour
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. vinegar
1/2 c. chicken stock
1/4 c. catsup
1 Tbsp. soy sauce

Sprinkle chicken with garlic salt and pepper. Let stand for one hour or more. (This is what it said in the recipe and she probably meant in the fridge, but I skipped this step.) Preheat oven to 325. Dip chicken in beaten egg, then in cornstarch or flour. Brown in hot oil. (I added some pepper and garlic salt while cooking). Drain. Place in baking dish. Cover with the following sauce: Mix sugar, vinegar, chicken stock, catsup, and soy sauce in saucepan and heat. Pour over chicken. Bake uncovered for 1 hour. Turn chicken once or twice. Makes 6 servings.

**This really is good and I made it with white rice and veggies. It has been a while since I had white rice. The kids gobbled up everything. My friend laurel uses ground white beans instead of flour or cornstarch. I think I will try that next time I make this. I didn't have alot of success using the bean flour making a gravy, but it definitely is a healthier substitute to the flour or cornstarch.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pumpkin Muffins

Pomegranate Syrup

Biscuits with Sausage Gravy