Falafel
OR...Chickpea Burgers with Tahini Sauce. I tried this recipe here & below.
Chickpea burgers
1 19-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed (I made my own from dried chickpeas cooked in the crockpot and used two cups then froze the rest)
4 scallions, trimmed and sliced
1 egg
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 6 1/2-inch whole-wheat pitas, halved and warmed, if desired
Tahini sauce
1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
2 tablespoons tahini (see Ingredient note)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. To prepare burgers: Place chickpeas, scallions, egg, flour, oregano, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor. Pulse, stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides, until a coarse mixture forms that holds together when pressed. (The mixture will be moist.) Form into 4 patties. (The mixture was so liquidy that I just spooned it directly into the oil. Worked great)
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook until golden and beginning to crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Carefully flip and cook until golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes more.
3. To prepare sauce & serve: Meanwhile, combine yogurt, tahini, lemon juice, parsley and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Divide the patties among the pitas and serve with the sauce.
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 399 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrate; 15 g protein; 9 g fiber; 742 mg sodium.Nutrition bonus: Fiber (37% daily value), Folate (32% dv), Vitamin C (30% dv), Iron (20% dv).
TIP: Ingredient Note: Tahini is a smooth, thick paste made from ground sesame seeds and commonly used in Middle Eastern foods. Look for it in the Middle Eastern section or near other nut butters in large supermarkets. (I could not find this in my small town store. So I bought some toasted sesame seeds and made my own from this recipe website. Pretty much 1/4 oil to 1 cup seeds ratio. Also, I used my coffee grinder to grind the seeds to powder form and then put them in a small food processor and added the oil.)
**I really liked this, and my picky eater Justin, and Ashley ate it really well. Courtney wasn't in the mood for something new. Randy said it was okay and he would eat it again if I made it again, but wouldn't request it. Sometimes it feels like pulling his teeth to get him to be healthier.**
Chickpea burgers
1 19-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed (I made my own from dried chickpeas cooked in the crockpot and used two cups then froze the rest)
4 scallions, trimmed and sliced
1 egg
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 6 1/2-inch whole-wheat pitas, halved and warmed, if desired
Tahini sauce
1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
2 tablespoons tahini (see Ingredient note)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. To prepare burgers: Place chickpeas, scallions, egg, flour, oregano, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor. Pulse, stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides, until a coarse mixture forms that holds together when pressed. (The mixture will be moist.) Form into 4 patties. (The mixture was so liquidy that I just spooned it directly into the oil. Worked great)
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook until golden and beginning to crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Carefully flip and cook until golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes more.
3. To prepare sauce & serve: Meanwhile, combine yogurt, tahini, lemon juice, parsley and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Divide the patties among the pitas and serve with the sauce.
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 399 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrate; 15 g protein; 9 g fiber; 742 mg sodium.Nutrition bonus: Fiber (37% daily value), Folate (32% dv), Vitamin C (30% dv), Iron (20% dv).
TIP: Ingredient Note: Tahini is a smooth, thick paste made from ground sesame seeds and commonly used in Middle Eastern foods. Look for it in the Middle Eastern section or near other nut butters in large supermarkets. (I could not find this in my small town store. So I bought some toasted sesame seeds and made my own from this recipe website. Pretty much 1/4 oil to 1 cup seeds ratio. Also, I used my coffee grinder to grind the seeds to powder form and then put them in a small food processor and added the oil.)
**I really liked this, and my picky eater Justin, and Ashley ate it really well. Courtney wasn't in the mood for something new. Randy said it was okay and he would eat it again if I made it again, but wouldn't request it. Sometimes it feels like pulling his teeth to get him to be healthier.**
Comments